In the midst of current events (BLM, COVID, Working From Home, Returning To Work, and the political landscape here in America) to state the obvious we are also in the midst of a huge amount of change in our personal and professional lives.
To borrow from Daryl R. Conner, we’re not just faced with the prospect of jumping off a “Burning Platform” – we’re being pushed.
With that in mind, I wanted to share the following points I recently saw from Prosci:
- Change happens one person at a time.
- Change starts with understanding why.
- Change requires a personal choice that is driven by personal motivators and larger societal motivators.
- Change necessitates knowing how to change.
- Change happens by building new capabilities and demonstrating the ability to present yourself in a new way.
- Sustained change needs to be reinforced with mechanisms, measures and celebrations of success.
This isn’t a plug for a particular approach to Change, I just hope you find these helpful in putting your current situation, whatever it may be, in context.
Comments, thoughts, and questions welcome.